Not because I am overflowing with happiness and simply have to share it with the world, but because "light a single candle instead of cursing the dark." I am also going to use lots of exclamation points! Because they make you happy! Here goes:
1. I got a free chair! Well, actually it's a footstool, but could be a chair in a pinch. Now I can invite three people over for dinner. That's everyone I know!
2. My bosses are gone for a week (which is not the happy thing; it is boring without them), but a good chunk of the work they left me to do is "fun" stuff: creating itineraries, designing brochures. I like my job! (Well, some of it at least.)
3. I have one whole new complete hobby: making greeting cards. My mom sent me cardstock, stamps and ink in my Christmas package, and I also got all of our old office Christmas cards to recycle into new, better-looking ones! What's great about this hobby is that it can be done alone in a pinch, but I can invite others to play along!
4. I put up my Certification of Consecration (one of very few items to make it all the way across the ocean so far, see previous post) in my office. I had to temporarily displace Katharina von Bora to do it, but I think she'd understand. Woo-hoo, I'm a diaconal minister!
5. When I complained to my friends at home about my life being boring/lonely/uneventful/pathetic, they gave me lots of helpful suggestions. I am going to go through them and try out all that are even remotely feasible.
6. The Nature of Doctrine. This is the book (the first of several, I hope) that I am going to start reading with my friend Melissa to prepare us for our respective graduate-school admissions essays and interviews. I like this SO MUCH MORE than reading the book on my own!
7. If you recall, last November, I asked you for book recommendations. I took the list with me to Half-Price Bookstore in the Twin Cities, a.k.a. Mecca (and then to the Des Moines branch when I visited my sister). I found several of them there (for 5 bucks or less, oh yeah!):
-The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
-Two or three of the Ender series by Orson Scott Card
-The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (plus another one by him because I heard a Minnesota author on NPR raving about his work).
I should also mention that three of your suggested works came to me by strange and mysterious means while I was still in Wittenberg (I borrowed them from Heather):
-Life of Pi by Yann Martel (worth every bit of hype)
-Me Talk Pretty One Day and Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris (also marvelous, though the second one had a bit of a mean bitter streak)
I acquired The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri by more traditional means: with my Barnes and Noble giftcard. That is, full-price (gasp!). I am told it is worth it.
The rest I could not find, afford, or fit into my (not delivered yet!) suitcases. But they are still on the holy and sacred list. And that makes me happy!
to be continued...
Tuesday, February 15, 2005
Things that make me smile, vol. 2
Posted by
Jessica
at
5:43 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Which other Chabon book did you buy. Tell me if you like it.
Abba, the other Chabon book was The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, I think. I am excited to read both of them!
Joannie, you should definitely read Life of Pi, regardless, and shame on whoever told you about it with spoilers! I'm pumped to read The Namesake.
Post a Comment