Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Musical Me

I have been noticing lately that my life has a score. Or, better said, a soundtrack. Certain friends and experiences are inextricably linked to songs in my head. My friends who are musicians are no-brainers... their CDs remind of them. (Go figure.)
Every boyfriend (or unrequited crush) I have had has come with musical accompaniment. High School Heartthrob was "I Can't Fight This Feeling Any Longer" and the Footloose soundtrack, to which we danced all night once; Tried and True Friend Who Only Much Later Became Love Interest was REM and "Lady in Red"; my sexy, sexy British South African Latin teacher was Spanish flamenco guitar; Chris was Bach's Cello Suites (which I still thank him for today); Clemens was jazz and Brazilian crooners. (There are several more but I am skipping any that might incriminate me. :-)
But then there are the non-angsty-crush situations that will be forever bound to certain sounds...

  • The Mahi-Mahi mixed tapes and the girls who made them
  • The Suite 324 mixed tape on which we do annoying little imitations of each roommate
  • The RENT soundtrack, which a few of my Denver roommates and I listened to so much that it became a very sore spot with the rest of the house
  • The Shrek soundtrack that characterized my second year in Chicago and always provoked much dancing and jumping about and bonding experiences in general.
  • There are snippets of my life connected to each new Indigo Girls album that came out.
  • And every time I hear camp songs, I think of EWALU, Sky Ranch, and Tuesday nights.

It's amazing how much of my life (and who I am) I can zip up into my handy little CD holders and stuff in a ratty old backpack. Maybe some day I will write a musical autobiography, assuming I do something interesting enough to merit an autobiography in the first place. :-)

No comments: