Saturday, April 23, 2005

Waiting for the punchline

I am deep in thought soup lately. With some real life friends and with some really amazing blogging women, I have been engaging some fundamental life questions that have been plaguing me for a good couple of years now. The questions all sort of run together at the edges, and basically they are questions about how we organize ourselves and how we take care of each another and how we share our toys and how we make a difference. In grown-up words, the topics sound all scary and harsh and off-putting: legislating morality. Drawing the line between basic human rights and personal freedom. Existential angst. Lingering post-colonial oppression. Environmental consciousness. Civil religion. Passion and complacency.

All this stuff is gurgling right below the surface in me, both the kids' version and the harsher grown-up stuff. The thoughts are multiplying and mingling freely with my huge open question: where to go and what to do after this? Somehow I have the feeling I am standing at the threshold. I am being given the chance to start over a year from now, to bushwhack my way through the jungle of indecision in any direction I choose. Theologically, of course, this newness is nothing new: we are created anew each day--every day is a beginning, a chance to wake up, to rearrange slanted priorities, to live, to love. But practically, how often do we get to finish something up so neatly, to tuck in the corners and sign off at the "X"? In one year, my contract is up; I am done, I need to move on. At this point, I am realizing, the sky is the limit for me. I am alone, I am at least somewhat educated, I am (over)privileged. Pick a country, pick a career, pack up your two suitcases and head off into your fate. Or vocation.

But what is it, for Pete's sake? Where is that perfect blend of my deep longings and the world's deep needs? Is there any way I can live out the paradox of giving myself selflessly to a cause while retaining my own identity with fierce determination? I am on the brink... and soon I will have to set off in one direction or the other. And I really am confident that when the time comes for me to make a decision, I will do it with integrity, choose something that will send me down the path where my life can make a little difference somehow, a tiny dent in one of those grown-up issues. As usual when I start thinking hard, I am reminded of an Indigo Girls song lyric: Up on the watershed/ standing at the fork in the road/You can stand there and agonize/Till your agony's your heaviest load. But eventually you have to stop agonizing and decide, and then pour your whole heart into the next step.

In this quest for understanding, I keep coming up again and again on a literary soulmate, a scientist whose life only overlapped with mine by two years, but whose words sometimes relieve me of the need to search for my own. Margaret Mead was a woman who really and truly listened, and found the inherent logic and beauty in that which was foreign to her. I think I am going to try to listen to her voice a little more closely for a while. Here's a start: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post, Jess....and it will mean even more to you when you are knee-deep in your next vocation. You'll look back at this anxious time and think, "I'm so glad that I chose this path!" I know that you will. Are you really leaning toward Japan? It's so exciting that you can virtually do anything - and that I can virtually just live right through your adventures! :) Amy

Anonymous said...

I hate to sound depressing but be prepared to be disillusioned along the way.

Through my work I've come across so many people who started out wanting to save the world and now are happy if the get to go home to their families before dinner time.

It is a sad reality when you see people's passions become only their jobs and I'm so worried about it happening to me.

So anyway keep that passion, I think that is more important than the particularities of a job description any day!

Jessica said...

Thanks, Amy, for your virtual excitement. I love our blogs... it makes me feel closer to you in some ways than if we were living 30 miles away from each other but didn't make the effort to talk (I know I have been guilty of that many times before). So no matter where I am, we will remain friends. Hooray. :-)

Jaime,
yeah, I know about the disillusionment. For me it comes in waves, usually followed by a wave of fresh excitement, either for the same thing again or for a new and different thing. So far I consider myself to be basically an optimist who occasionally has bouts of realism. :-)

brownbreadicecream said...

But for now you *do* have all this energy and enthusiasm, and you *are* free to go anywhere (what an incredible thing) and do anything!

What other options do you have? I'm terriby curious.

Jessica said...

Rachel, I have lots of options. :-) Here's a general overview:

-PhD program. This could be in any of a number of disciplines: New Testament, practical theology, ethics, diakonia; and in one of two countries (US and Germany), and one of umpteen universities in those countries-- though I am not saying they'd all take me.:-)

-MA program in something useful (or not-so-useful). These options might include an MBA (with an eye toward working in a non-profit organization), International Peace Studies, English as a Second/Other Language.

-More work for the church abroad, which could include either a two-or three-year assignment somewhere (Palestine, Namibia, Japan, Bangladesh), or something more long term (scary). The actual work would be teaching English, assisting a bisop's office with English communications, or doing some sort of church work.

-Get a job doing something in the US, like working in some capacity in a social service organization or congregation. I would most likely choose Chicago as the arena for this, but somewhere with great weather would be a plus.

-Whatever. I'm open. :-)