(Each of my three esteemed exes contributed multiple gems to the following treasure chest. Hey, I believe in giving people second chances!)
- "I don't really like your friends all that much. Couldn't you make some new ones?"
- "What, you want me to ask you questions about your life? I just figured if you had something to say, you'd say it."
- "Sssh! You can't talk to me while we're walking, remember, or I'll lose count of the sidewalk sections!"
- "Remember all those times when I said 'I love you?' Well, really what I meant was, 'I don't really know how I feel about you. I'm pretty sure it's just friendship.'"
- "I really don't think there is anything we can learn from each other. I only learn from teachers."
- Me: "So how are you feeling about our relationship, honey?"
He: "Feeling? I don't know. I need some time to think about this."
Me: "Um...okay, do you want to talk after dinner maybe?"
He: "I was thinking like next Thursday." - "I'm transferring to Princeton next month. Did I forget to tell you?"
- Me: "Man, I am having such an awful day. I'm emotionally exhausted."
He: (picks a fight)
8 comments:
This is so funny!!! The first, fifth, and eighth quotations seem particularly familiar to me. It's almost as if I too have heard them from an esteemed ex . . .
Somebody actually said number three to you? Was this one particular walk, or every walk? Wow. That's almost fiction-worthy.
UNBELIEVABLE!
btw, talking about the strike-through letters: Just look at the page's source code, or this below. I placed spaces in the two "strikes" so that the page doesn't execute it (You can't use this tag in blogger comments). For your blog, just take the tag without the spaces.
< strike > example text < /strike >
Wow. I hear that. We should share stories sometime!
No way! You so deserve better that that. Hmmmm.... am I one of those "friends to replace?" It's a good thing that Suite 324 didn't catch wind of his comment! :) Amy
I heard a few of these from my ex, but two of his best/worst have to be:
"You know, I told you I wasn't attracted to you because you're fat. Well, I wasn't attracted to you when you were thin either."
"When we got married, I just didn't realize what I was saying."
Sigh.
Hi everyone, goodness these are fun comments. Thanks!
Elizabeth, now exactly WHICH esteemed ex would that be? I am impressed that you could match up all of the quotes with all of the EE's. (Though admittedly you did have an advantage...) Go you!
Abba--nope, not an exact quote. I took a bit of literary license and used a sort of composite example that to me exemplifies the way the unchecked OCD slowly undermined every part of our relationship and choked out every bit of spontaneity and fun. If you see fiction in there, take it and run!
Friday mom, thanks. I have exactly the same wish. :-)
Tom, thanks, I will put the info to good use soon! Stay tuned...
Jana, I would love to hear your stories! Maybe you could post them on your blog?
Amy, nope, wasn't you. And you know where my loyalties lie!!!
Oh my gosh Martha, now perhaps I don't understand the nuances of the relationship... but it sounds to me like "good riddance!" I am glad that your self-confidence survived intact (or so it seems, at least).
"Good Riddance" is the father of my three children; bouncing back took a long time. But I'm happy to say I did better the second time around! (Not that it was hard...)
Post a Comment