Saturday, August 23, 2008

both/and

I make no sense. Really. I'm just a bundle of irrational contradictions.

For example, I love my job, have made a five-year commitment that I intend to keep, and have successfully avoided several (well-intentioned and flattering) attempts to lure me away. And yet this fact: at any given time, I know whether Wartburg, the ELCA, and/or Global Mission have any interesting job postings.

I just took a pretty detailed look at my finances, my life situation and that of my roommates and decided that about a year from now, I should probably be buying a cute little condo, probably in Hyde Park (commuting: me no likey). In order to do that in the most responsible way (i.e. with a 20% down payment), I need to save up a whole lot more money by then. This will be difficult, considering my non-profit-sector salary and the realities of living and commuting in Chicago. But if I'm careful, and live like a student instead of like an "adult," I can do it. And yet: I am also entertaining the notion of enrolling in a masters program in nonprofit management. This is not free, or even cheap. But still I think about it.

Luckily I'm Lutheran and dialectic is my birthright. This isn't contradiction; it's "both/and"!

No comments: