Tuesday, May 27, 2008

meta-noia

So I'm hanging out with Elizabeth (alternately known as "Penelope" or "Penelizabethope" on this blog) tonight, which is always fun. Sometimes it's slightly unorthodox fun, or fun that other people might not recognize as actual fun, but we both enjoy it and that's what counts, right?

Here's what we did tonight:

  • We rearranged ALL of her books (and she is quite the bibliophile) so that theology, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, memoir, humor, short stories and children's literature are now abiding in relative adjacency. The next step will be to sub-categorize, but we're not going there just now.
  • We explored the journals of a deceased person, journals which Elizabeth recently inherited through a strange set of circumstances. I felt a little like a voyeur with an illicit ticket into this woman's psyche (which was unfortunately kind of sad and pathetic at times, but also admirable and lovable). What a weird, thrilling, invasive feeling that is, to go through someone else's very private thoughts.
  • We ate a very yummy salad, much of which I picked from our garden this morning on my way here, and drank some leftover red wine.
  • Then we (and here is where I go all meta on you) read through some of my old blog posts from Germany and relived what were, in retrospect, some very fun times, although both of us were having random crises at the time. It's so exciting and wonderful and frustrating and challenging and kind of surreal to live in a foreign country, and the company you keep makes ALL the difference.
  • Four rounds of Austin Powers Mad Libs. "Horsefeathers! I've combusted my capacious mojo, baby!"
  • Random quote from the evening: "So now 'Luther's Lives' is right next to 'The Sexual Politics of Meat.' "

No comments: