Once upon a time, I wrote a master's thesis. It was a pretty decent thesis, as thesi go, and even contained a few laughs. The reason it turned out so well, I think, was that my thesis advisor has this uncanny way of matching people to topics that they actually care about. He suggested to me that given my interest in linguistics and experience translating and tutoring Koine Greek, I might want to tackle something he found to be lacking in Biblical scholarship: creating an approachable, step-by-step method for translating Greek biblical texts based on linguistic categories. So that's what I did. A while back he approached me and said that he was using my text in one of his PhD courses (insert stunned silence here) and did I want to come and talk about it with his students? I did want to, of course, and they each made copious notes on the text and gave them to me to aid in my future revisions (this is unbelievably cool and will save me hours and hours of work), and the prof even said, hey, Jess, I want you to revise this final chapter and then let's publish it as a companion to my book (more stunnedness from me).
Somehow, despite the insane coolness of this invitation, I haven't started the lengthy revision process yet. But tonight I met this guy who's a PhD student here, and I told him my name and he looked a bit startled and used the definite article with a long "e" before my name which I am not nearly old and wizened enough to deserve, but he did it, and mentioned my text. And then said prof showed up and gave me the status report of his text 9to which mine shall serve as trusty companion)-- he has a publishing contract in hand and will have things ready to go by this summer.
I am pretty sure that's the universe giving me a bit of a nudge.
Ok, universe, I hear ya. Commence risk-taking.
Friday, September 28, 2007
aw, shucks
Posted by
Jessica
at
4:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
More evidence of your awesomeness--that's so cool!
Post a Comment