Friday, December 29, 2006

mahi mahi

I got the coolest Christmas present EVER in the mail a couple days ago.

My sophomore year of college, four other girls and I formed a sort of ad-hoc Sunday dinner club. From the outset we were silly about it - dressing in crazy outfits, deciding to eat without the input from our hands and arms, that sort of thing. On dinner at Red Lobster, several of us got the Mahi Mahi, and so the group was christened.

We developed a deep sense of loyalty to one another and these were among my most cherished college memories and friendships. When Becca and I went off to the Holy Land for a month at the end of the year, the other three girls got together for long hours to construct a mix tape that overflowed the first cassette onto a second. It was a labor of love - full of great songs, meaningful readings, poems, clips from our favorite movies, and some ad-hoc personal commentary.

I listended to those cassettes over and over and over and over again for the rest of college, Urban Servnt Corps, and seminary. They even made the very short list of cargo that I hauled to Germany with me. I cried out loud the day one of the tapes gave up the ghost and ground slowly to a halt, never to be heard from again.

Except that now they've they turned up in my mailbox like a much-wanted ghost. (Boo!)

No comments: