Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Achieving balance: the yin and the yang of it

My life has felt a lot more balanced lately. Finally I feel like I have successfully navigated "crisis mode" and my emotional condition has been upgraded from critical to stable. Woo-hoo, stability. The thing is, I am not sure how long this nascent stability will last. Uncertain stability. Better than certain instability, I suppose.

It is quite clear to me why I am feeling more like a human being lately: my inner extrovert is getting a lot more exercise. I had a couple of different social appointments this weekend-- babysitting for an adorable 5-month old, having dinner with two (!) friends, and chatting away the afternoon with a lonely widow and her childhood friend. And we have GROUPS in town! With whom I get to interact! On a daily basis!

I like my job a lot more when it involves things like visiting a vocational school, a sheltered workshop and a college-preparatory high school with 16 seminarians in tow, translating and experiencing and chatting and cooking and eating together. I am not cut out for a job that involves ergonomically-designed office equipment. I need social interaction like I need oxygen and RitterSport--at home and on the job. I don't mind having an office as a home base, you know, to keep stuff in between activities, but if you have to start being there all the time... well, that's bad news.

My newly-minted emotional stability has carried me over some of those minor disappointments that have lately been blown up to crisis proportions. Like the one that appeared in my mailbox yesterday, announcing without any to-do or apology that the advanced-beginner Japanese class, which I had been looking forward to in a major way, was cancelled due to low registration. This represents both a major blow to my fledgling social life in this town, and also means that for the first time since eighth grade, I will not be involved in learning some foreign language in an intentional way. Yikes. But at least it didn't make me cry, and for that I am proud.

P.S. I am coming home in 10 days!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

brownbreadicecream said...

Oh, I *love* RitterSport, especially the one with whole hazelnuts--although would you happen to know the reason behind what seems like a really bad choice in names for a chocolate? The Ritter part is okay, but why "Sport?" The first time I saw that, it instantly made me think: sports... health... nutrition... fake chocolate?

I'm sorry to hear your Japanese class was canceled. How about learning an entirely new language?

Jessica said...

Can you get RitterSport there, or should I send you some? Yeah, the name threw me at first too. Maybe they are trying to create the impression that it is healthy, without taking the sugar and fat out... who knows? My favorite flavor is definitely yogurt, which sounds weird, perhaps, but tastes dreamy.

My first thoguht when they canceled the Japanese class was, "OK, I guess it's time to take French." French is definitely next on the list.... You need it for grad school anyway. Unfortunately, tomorrow I am taking off for three weeks (1 week of traveling as a group leader and two weeks of visting family and friends) and when I come back the classes will already be four weeks in...I can see, when I come back, whether I can still join. Maybe that's not a bad idea. :-)

brownbreadicecream said...

Thanks for the kind offer, Jess, but you can get RitterSport in Japan, thank goodness! Oh, I've never tried the yogurt flavor. Will try it the next time I go to the store, just because you recommended it and not because I need nothing more than the hint of a suggestion to be persuaded to eat chocolate.

Have a wonderful, happy, and safe trip home, to finally be amongst your friends and family again!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! What kinds of fun plans should we make? Should I drive separately from my family to Waverly? Do you need or want a place to stay? Is your whole family spending the night in Waverly? Let's talk details...
Love you!!
Amy