- It's like I'm living life on fast-forward lately, wind in my hair, smile on my face, but where is the time going? I blink, and a week goes by. Have I fulfilled all of my responsibilities to my job and my friends and my co-op during that week? Hard to tell, as it passed in a blink and now, inexplicably, next week looms. But I'm happy, so I'll take this crazy playing-a-33 at-45-rpm lifestyle* until it causes some sort of disaster, like accidentally skipping a bunch of stuff or forgetting to breathe or something. I hope I'm not leaving anyone behind in this whirlwind.
- People are starting to get on my case a little about being single. (Maybe at 31, I deserve it now?) Grandma wants to know the name of my boyfriend who I'm bringing to Christmas. (Huh?) Even my mom, who's usually great about letting me live my life and not advocating change for change's sake (or society's), is starting to wonder vocally whether I'm ever going to find my better half. And so what if I don't, is usually my answer. There are so many ways to live, so many ways to be family. She even went so far as to suggest that I "just find somebody average" and just learn to love him. Um... hello? Mom? Do you KNOW me? When have I ever liked average anything? I've known too many unhappy marriages to set myself up for something that's constrictingly, suffocatingly "normal." One freak needs another, or so they say.
- I had a really great visit with a professor-slash-old friend the other day. It's really, really nice to know that there are people out there who, when you ask if they have a minute, respond "I always have a minute for you, Jess." Does the heart good.
- Work ... work is good. A little too much sometimes, a little too crazy, a little too far away, but generally, overall, good-to-very-good. And that's as much as anyone can say, right?
- Thanksgiving is coming, and I won't have a hard time finding things to be thankful about this year.
*Maybe this metaphor went over some people's heads. It's an allusion to vinyl. :-)
2 comments:
Do you KNOW me? When have I ever liked average anything?
This is awesome. :-)
it's hard to hear the relationship questions from family, 'cause it makes you feel like you're not 'enough' on your own. it's probably not what they mean; it's probably one of those 'i found so much happiness and fulfillment in a relationship and i want you to, too' - but as you rightly point out, there are many ways to find fulfillment. if you're happy, then it's all good.
Post a Comment