It was not the best week ever. Lowlights included the Bridge Incident hitting entirely too close to home -- my mom's commuting route -- and an unfortunate (but blessedly injury-free) car accident.
For four agonizing days, I didn't hear from my mom. I called around and figured out that she had planned to be on vacation this week, but I couldn't figure out how to call her and she didn't call me. So I mostly knew that she was fine, and was fairly sure that she wasn't even in the city when it happened, but there remained a glimmer of stomach-sinking doubt in my mind right up until she called me today to let me know that she and her husband got back from their vacation and received my increasingly-frantic messages. As it turned out, they didn't even know what had happened until they got back, due to the chosen isolation of the cabin. So... whew. My people are OK, even though my heart hurts for those whose people aren't.
And the car accident -- like I said, injury-free, and therefore "minor," but it still cost me many hours on the phone with insurance companies and rental companies and such, plus my full deductible. Still, though... it could have been a whole lot worse.
So things are OK here. My kitty (who is adorable--yay) welcomed me home with another puddle on the bed (sigh), so I armed myself with all sorts of bleach and deodorizers that will hopefully take care of the smell for good. The smell of mice emanating from the walls won't go away so easily, though...
Saturday, August 04, 2007
it could be worse, i guess...
Posted by
Jessica
at
8:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
How did you figure out there were dead mice in the walls? Can you send Bea (Bee?) in there to eat them?
I don't think it's dead mice, so much as mice pee. (Or is it mouse pee?) It has sort of a lovely ammoniacal stench to it. So I got a bunch of baking soda and sprinkled it generously into the offending dank corner of my closet. We'll see if that soaks up some of the smell. Ya never know...
Aaah, so that explains the ammoniacal stench that we had so presumptuously attributed to Bea Pee! Give Bea my apologies.
I once saw a Law and Order where a dead body was buried in a wall for decades underneath hundreds of pounds of kitty litter. The kitty litter absorbed all of the dead body smell, so nobody suspected a thing. Perhaps you could drill a hole in your walls and siphon in some kitty litter.
Yeah, there was some Bea Pee too (thankfully that little habit has stopped!)... but it's not nearly as odorific as the stuff emanating from the nether regions of the closet.
The kitty litter is not a bad idea -- actually I tried sprinkling a whole pound of baking soda back in the corner and it seemed to work, but not completely. I could go get some Fresh Step... although I don't want to encourage Bea to Pee anywhere but her litterbox!
You really do learn a lot of good stuff on Law and Order. :-)
Post a Comment