Sunday, April 27, 2008

transition -- thoughts du jour

I've been thinking a lot about this upcoming transition... the one where I move all of my belongings and my center of gravity to a different city and state and (practically) world. I will no longer be a small-town Iowan, I will no longer be a co-oper, I will no longer be the treasurer, I will no longer be able to see on a regular basis the folks who have become good friends. I am trading in 15 wonderful, occasionally frustrating roommates for two (and then one) wonderful, hardly ever frustrating one(s).

In my life here, it's easy for me to make some of the choices that are important to me --
choosing to be a part of a community, for example, and buying and eating food that I've chosen really intentionally. It's easy for me to be a part of not one, but two church communities, and I have many, many social activities to which I am automatically invited.

My schedule is incredibly flexible. I can do laundry in the middle of the workday if I need to, I can start a half hour early or quit a half hour early without calling anyone to ask permission. I can decide on the spur of the moment to hold work at a coffeeshop today. My commute consists of the following: opening my eyes, stretching, and getting out of bed. Rent is ridiculously low, which allows me to save and give away large chunks of cash and not have to give up other stuff to do it. A healthy, organic vegan dinner is cooked for me 28 days a month, and I never have to eat it alone. I have an adorable one-eyed cat who follows me around and curls up in my lap when I give her the chance. I share my home and my life with many people who share at least some of my core values. I count a couple of these people among my true friends. In many ways, this is my ideal life.

I have chosen to leave it, for many good reasons. Sometimes those reasons are hard to remember.

Maybe it's a sign of a life well-lived in a particular location, that you leave something precious behind.

No comments: