Wednesday, March 05, 2008

If you don't like talking about money, skip this one

I got a pretty hefty tax return this year ($1865 federal plus $58 state), and here's how I spent it:

  • First off, I wrote a check to my mom for $1000. I am getting tantalizingly close to paying off my car entirely-- and since I've only owned it a year and a half, I consider that a victory.
  • I decided that $100 of this could be "me money," so I splurged on "professional" highlights (rather than the mostly unimpressive $3-a-box L'Oreal ash brown dye that I bought last time), and--for the first time ever--an eyebrow wax, which only took about 2 minutes, was painless, and looks nice and polished. I still hadn't used up all of the $100, so my car got a nice wash, complete with underbelly rinse. Goodbye salt.
  • I was trying to figure out whether I should tithe this money, but I decided that since I figure out my contributions using my pre-tax income, that was already covered. But then I felt like well, if I have the luxury of deciding whether or not to give part of this away, then I should. Another $190.
  • $500 goes to my Roth IRA, because realistically, there won't be any Social Security left by the time I reach that age.
  • The remaining $133 goes to my vacation fund.
Man. I'm so responsible it's boring.

No comments: