Thursday, May 12, 2016

Quite the blog hiatus, that. A "let's do life full-force for a while without even really stopping to breathe" sort of hiatus.

We're coming up on our fourth wedding anniversary in a few weeks (and just before that, my 40th birthday sneaks in there).  Four years of living and loving and leaning and learning. Four very, very good years.

We did that thing, that thing where you sell your underwater condo in the city, buy a starter home (that will quite likely also be the finishing-up home) in the cheapest neighborhood of a ritzy suburb, start to fix up said home, get pregnant, finish up your $15 million fundraising campaign, have a baby, and buy a minivan. We did that thing, and it is glorious. I've never felt so normal.

Having this guy in our lives is awfully glorious:



Having a new job that involves WAY less travel and WAY more nine-to-five-y-ness than I have ever experienced in my adult life is a gigantic privilege... and maybe just a little bit boring, if I'm honest. I almost miss always-new rush of prepping madly for a trip, the public-speaking endorphins, the completely chaotic schedule. But I revel in coming home to my lovelies almost every single night, having dinner with my husband (which these days mostly involves scrounging from the fridge and eating standing up over the sink, but simultaneously at least), tucking this butterball into bed, and making plans of my very own every weekend.



It's amazing to watch Simon learn. You can almost see the brain cells soaking up the knowledge of how things work and what to call them and how to exercise just the right amount of control. He's got that unbridled joy of a toddler discovering the universe, and a contagious happy-dance, but he's not afraid to sit down with a good board book or six and contemplate hippos and Elmo and the ABC's for a while.

Aaaaaah, this life is good.

No comments: