Tuesday, May 03, 2011

food mood

I'm loving my CSA share already, and it's only been a few weeks. So far my freezer is filled with arugula pesto and homemade quasi-palak (an Indian-inspired spicy spinach concoction) and my belly is filled with salad, stir fry and delicious roasted turnips.


I'm lucky to have the option to join a CSA-- I know that. I pay extra for the privilege of consuming food that's grown locally and without chemicals and delivered to my door by the farmer himself. (Chad, that's his name.) Working in world hunger, I'm all too aware that most people in the world don't have this option. They can't afford luxury food. They live in deserts or food deserts, or they don't own property that allows for farming, or they live in contexts with untenable soil or very short growing seasons or corrupt governments or thieving neighbors or really big bugs.

I'm lucky, I'm privileged... and it's a lot easier just to forget that and go out to eat and cook fancy food and believe I deserve it.

No comments: